Sunday, March 24, 2013

Be content with your life

     Everyone seems to want a life they don't have. People would rather live in a hot climate if they currently live in a cold climate, and vice versa. If a girl has straight hair, she wishes to have curly hair. But the girl with curly hair would much rather have straight hair. No one is completely content with his/her life; there's always at least one aspect missing. For Sedaris, he had a seemingly perfect life, but he wasn't happy with it because it was missing the adventure aspect. Because he yearned for a little danger, he went to the extreme and wished to have Hugh's childhood, which was filled a little too much with abnormalities. There are millions of people who are living seemingly adventurous (but actually terrible and dangerous) lives that would love to have Sedaris' safe, normal life.

     I do see where Sedaris is coming from, though. When I look back on my childhood, the most exciting memory was a trip to Greece, so I can relate to his desire for more adventure. But that doesn't mean I can naively assume that a crazy childhood like Hugh's is only filled with fun adventures and exciting stories. His childhood was actually pretty miserable, and only people who have experienced similar things as he did would know that. This is why I constantly try to remember how blessed I am to have the life I do. You can't start wishing you had a different lifestyle, because you don't know what people in that lifestyle actually go through. So instead, it's important to be happy with the life you do have.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I like how you go against Sedaris's point and say that people should enjoy the life they have. I also liked how you also conceded to Sedaris.

    ReplyDelete